Author Topic: The Perfect Storm Chase - what is yours?  (Read 4882 times)

Offline David C

• Global Moderator
  • Barrel tornado F4
    • Thunderbolt Tours Storm Chasing Adventures
The Perfect Storm Chase - what is yours?
« on: 04 January 2006, 05:38:53 AM »
Hi Guys:

Just pondering some past events here on a lazy Tuesday morning at work and it got me thinking about my favourite chase. What is the hallmark of a favourite chase? Well, that is up to you. It might be for the photography / videos that eventuated, the sheer intensity of the storms that developed, or the unexpected being realised. In my case it was a combination of some of the above but mostly tactics / strategy, some good fortune and an awesome storm.

I'll will post my favourite chase in here shortly, but thought I would open the thread to get you thinking and post your own memory as well.

cheers,
Storm Chaser,
Thunderbolt Tours - USA & Australia Storm Chase Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Jeff Brislane

Re: The Perfect Storm Chase - what is yours?
« Reply #1 on: 04 January 2006, 03:43:01 PM »
For me it would have to be this day.

http://www.tempestlight.com/reports/2004/041207/

For the combination of these things. We picked the target area of Nyngan to perfection and drove 700km to the exact spot where the first supercell developed. The supercell itself had strong inflow, beautifull structure and nearly produced a tornado and I got some of the most awesome slides of a supercell of my life so far.

Then the next day we saw another awesome, powerfull supercell right in our target area and again I got more awesome supercell slides.

http://www.tempestlight.com/reports/2004/041208/

Apart from a tornado or gorilla hail, what else do you want in a chase?

As for you and Jimmy, Dave, are you going to give one from here and the U.S.? Or just the best overall?

Jeff.

Offline Matthew Piper

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #2 on: 04 January 2006, 04:05:09 PM »
I couldnt agree more with Jeff  ;D The 7th and 8th of December 2004 will forever live in my memory as a classic example of the perfect storm chase. I had never before seen so many supercells on an Australian chase and it will probably be a long time before I ever see a repeat.

My favourite US storm chase would have to be the day I saw my first ever tornado near Vernon in northern Texas  8) The structure of the storm is permanently etched in my memory and I have never before or since seen a storm greener than this was  :o
« Last Edit: 04 January 2006, 04:09:56 PM by Matthew Piper »
Matthew Piper

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
« Reply #3 on: 05 January 2006, 01:46:39 AM »
Hi,

Difficult to choose as per usual. I still go back to the chase of 5th November 2000 as one of the all time favourites - well if you used the mobile telephone bill as a guide - it would surpass any other!

The excitement of that chase being a lone chase (navigate on my own in storm chasing never never lands of Coffs Harbour looking for lookouts), having a long lived supercell, absolutely awesome beaver tail, possible tornadoes, excellent lightning and perfect back sheared anvil.

This from 150km north!

I also saw the supercell from birth with the bases so low that the mountain was embedded in the base. Then when it neared the end of my chase anyway, I copped powerful lighting bolts and even very large hail and I didn't even go after it at the time. Then down the coast, storm upon storms with some impressive bolts arching out of the updrafts. Let's put it into perspective that that was a hi8 camera - imagine what contrast and quality there would have been with the Canon XM2. I even managed an interview with the Weather Channel at the time! The chase had everythingand followed some awesome powerful updrafts from the day prior.

http://www.australiasevereweather.com/storm_news/2000/docs/0011-05.htm

In terms of the Tornado Alley, yes that storm you got Matt with me was awesome 24th May 2002 - and it was neat to know that few were on that tornadic storm!

How can David and I go past the White Deer tornado though. The rotation I saw on this day is unparalleled by any other tornadic storm! At the time, I became stunned at what was happening - the tornado got bigger and bigger and then bigger. And we were on our Learner's permit chasing Tornado Alley!

My excitement began when I saw the infamous HP beasts land clearers or land eaters from the 27th May 2001 and the bolts from this were extraordinary

Check out the report:

http://www.australiasevereweather.com/storm_news/2001/docs/200105-04.htm

Then when I saw the structure of the White Deer tornadic storm emerge, it reminded me of Coffs Harbour - not the same beast obviously.

Then the tornado speaks for itself - imagine your first trip to the US and only the second episode - what shock treatment.

I'll end it here.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

stormchaser354

« Reply #4 on: 05 November 2007, 11:37:05 PM »
I just have one question, why does the USA get monster F-5 tornadoes and you guys in austrailia get F-0 to F-3's? Is it because of the wind direction and strength?

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
« Reply #5 on: 06 November 2007, 02:34:50 AM »
The Tornado Alley region does get conditions more frequently and more violent that lead to tornadoes. The lower level winds as well as the lower bases help improve the chances greatly for tornadoes. Strong lower level winds with the moisture as well as the elevated land helps low level rotation and hence tornadoes.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)