Author Topic: Australian historic tornadoes  (Read 6631 times)

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
Australian historic tornadoes
« on: 05 February 2008, 06:29:36 AM »
Jimmy

If I'm not mistaken, hasn't there been an F-4 tornado in Vic - the Sandon (near Bendigo) tornado of '76?

Big Pete
PJJ

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
Re: Australian historic tornadoes
« Reply #1 on: 05 February 2008, 08:06:26 AM »
Big Pete,

That tornado in November 1976 was a pretty violent tornado form a well organised classic supercell. I guess F-4 means it would have had to have caused F-4 damage. It did pick up a small vehicle and hurled the vehicle some distance in the air with the occupants were found dead separate from the vehicle (apparently stripped naked of their clothes indicating the powerful strength of this tornado).

How would it be rated: I guess one would have to consider the vehicle and what minimum winds are capable of making the vehicle airborne. I would say it would have to be about an F-3 which is what I thought the Bureau had labelled it but I cannot be sure. Anyone can verify either? I wonder if the terrain covered with sparse vegetation made it difficult to determine a reasonable figure?

Assuming the following is accurate, it list the Sandon tornado at possibly F-3 status:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Southern_Hemisphere_tornadoes_and_tornado_outbreaks

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
« Last Edit: 05 February 2008, 08:24:19 AM by Jimmy Deguara »
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
« Reply #2 on: 05 February 2008, 10:34:44 AM »

Found this link with some numbers and facts on tornadoes in Oz (NT no mention! :))

http://www.islandnet.com/~see/weather/storm/tornadoes-aunzea.htm

Mike
Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
« Reply #3 on: 25 August 2008, 03:24:19 AM »
I also believe there was a tornado recorded in Violet Town (near Benalla) VIC back in 1980, but not sure - did see some photos of this storm from BoM - when I was in early high school I did a montage on Vic severe weather and tornadoes - included 1976 Sandon and 1980 Violet Town twisters and made mention of the Croydon Vic 1983/4 hailstorm/landspout - hail stones the size of baseballs fell for 35 mins - the spout/twister lasted 3 mins from my mother's anecdotal evidence.

Big Pete

PJJ

Offline Richary

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #4 on: 25 August 2008, 01:15:25 PM »
The book "Wiily Willies & Cockeyed Bobs - Tornadoes in Australia" by David A.J. Seargent makes mention of the Sandon tornado on 13/11/1976. It doesn't mention one in 1980 apart from in WA. .

Apparently the cumulonimbus anvils from the Sandon storm pearked well over the 10km normal storm clouds reach, and radar echoes indicated they peaked at 17km. 3 tornadoes were detected, with the most serious touching down around 5:30pm and causing $2-300,000 of property damage. The car that was lifted was a Mini Minor and it reports the man's body had the clothing stripped. Another car nearby had every window shattered with 2 women and children inside but they all survived with no serious injury.

Estimated minimum windgusts were 170kph from damage to corrugated iron (F1/T3), Lifting a motor vehicle requires strong F2/weak F3 - the car was lifted 9-12 metres into the air and carried for about 100 metres. The tornado track was about 300m wide and went for 6km.

Offline David C

• Global Moderator
  • Barrel tornado F4
    • Thunderbolt Tours Storm Chasing Adventures
« Reply #5 on: 26 August 2008, 05:20:36 AM »
Jimmy

If I'm not mistaken, hasn't there been an F-4 tornado in Vic - the Sandon (near Bendigo) tornado of '76?

Big Pete

The strongest tornado documented from Vic was the Geelong tornado (F3) in 1926. I had a detailed summary of this one in a book that, somewhat ironically, was 'permanently displaced' by United Airlines on the way back from Texas in 2001.

google comes up with this >> http://www.intown.com.au/historic/1926-geelong-tornado.html

The Sandon tornado did not really hit much, except the car unfortunately, and that was a mini or something similiar. It was on this basis that the F2 rating was subsequently assigned.
Storm Chaser,
Thunderbolt Tours - USA & Australia Storm Chase Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com