Author Topic: Lack of storms this season  (Read 5220 times)

zacaroo

Lack of storms this season
« on: 05 January 2007, 06:17:17 PM »
Well it has been 20 days since our last storm in Redcliffe. Or should I call it DEADCLIFFE LOL. Whats going on? We haven't had hail since november 27 2005 at my house. We usually get missed anyway, they seem to split and head north or south of us. Very frustrating. As I am only 14 I can't go on any big chases yet which is a bummer. Jimmy why would the storms do that?

I also have a couple of questions.

What is a beaver tail?
 From what I know it is something attached to the shelf cloud?

I can distinguish some features on storms but not alot.
1. Gustfront
2. Shelf Cloud
3. Rain/Hail shafts
4. Anvil
5. Sometimes when visible the updraft region as well

What do I need to look out for, for the Rain Free Bases, Outflow bands development wise? Where are they usually in a storm?

Offline Steven

• Global Moderator
  • Stove pipe F3
Re: Lack of storms this season
« Reply #1 on: 05 January 2007, 06:26:47 PM »
Pitty, we miss out on them all the time, last I saw one was on 16/12/2006 which I heard the loudest crack of thunder in my life, the strike hit about 200 Meters away, anyway the lack of storms is somewhat caused by the el nino that is effecting us. Oh and I have never seen hail larger than peas ever, even when I moved up back 8 years ago!

zacaroo

« Reply #2 on: 05 January 2007, 06:33:39 PM »
Yes I was guessing El Nino but still there has been not much at all. I am suffering sds. We have had showers not even the showers are keeping me interested. Perhaps the next one will be a big multi cell / supercell lol [at least im hoping]

Please read your comment to see if you are on topic - I have changed this post as well as deleted a few other posts that were not on topic from another thread. It looks better now.
« Last Edit: 06 January 2007, 01:45:33 AM by Jimmy Deguara »

Offline Steven

• Global Moderator
  • Stove pipe F3
« Reply #3 on: 05 January 2007, 06:44:48 PM »
Yer i was guessing el nino but still there has been stuff all. i am suffering sds. lol. im bored, no storms, no bmx coz i just got out of plaster from a broken wrist and not even the showers are keeping me interested. i think next one will be a big multi cell supercell lol [at least im hoping]

What's SDS??

zacaroo

« Reply #4 on: 05 January 2007, 06:47:11 PM »
SDS (storm deprivation syndrome)(or however you spell the words)

I fixed it but feel free to refer to a dictionary online to check - make sure it is an Australian spelling:) I have found a link http://www.google.com.au/search?q=SDS+storm+chasing&hl=en&lr=&start=10&sa=N
« Last Edit: 06 January 2007, 01:50:55 AM by Jimmy Deguara »

zacaroo

« Reply #5 on: 06 January 2007, 12:02:24 PM »
As I said over 20 days since a storm here. I am dissapointed so far this season. Before the season my dad purchased me a new camera, pretty muc specifically aimed for me using it for weather videos and photos.

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
« Reply #6 on: 07 January 2007, 03:44:12 AM »
This season from a storm perspective for me is the worst thus far since storm chasing began in 1993. I think I would have to go way back to 1982 to see a similar season and that season in some respects is worse given that the lack of storms have lasted into January February and part of March when the drought broke.

We are in a pattern that resembles a changing pattern. To me it looks like we may have some storms on the way in some regions.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
« Reply #7 on: 07 January 2007, 04:37:33 AM »
Yes - certainly well down on the quantity you'd typically see in SE QLD and NE NSW though Spring and Summer though there have been quite a number of spectacular days.  November was pretty good but December a dud apart from the activity on 14th to 16th.  I know you can't chase too far yet Zac but that will change in time and certainly improve how many storms you get to observe.

I've recently updated Storm News with brief chase accounts with links to photos. You can see there have still been quite a lot of events but also a bit of travel.

http://australiasevereweather.com/storm_news/

The weather can get into a rut for a couple of weeks at a time in this region, it's nothing all that unusual and fairly common in late December and January.
Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

zacaroo

« Reply #8 on: 07 January 2007, 05:12:25 AM »
Yes I know when I am able to chase in a car I will observe more storms. But I can't at the moment and I would doubt my dad will take me chasing - I should ask him though. My major problem is no equipment, so we'd be guessing. And with the current lack of them I wouldn't be chasing anyway because they are out around Charleville.

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
« Reply #9 on: 07 January 2007, 06:26:39 AM »
Although moving slightly offtopic I don't recommend chasing if you have not experience or knowledge of storms. Surely go and observe one locally - that's just as good as when I was your age.

You should wait a few more years and chase with someone who has done it. Although we are the pioneers, there have been some close encounters. Storm chasing is dangerous and should not be taken lightly.

Getting back on topic, As Michael suggests, there are periods when storms become active in your areas as well as years when storms are more frequent. One has to be patient and just wait around. It makes the good days better!

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

zacaroo

« Reply #10 on: 07 January 2007, 06:32:36 AM »
Although moving slightly offtopic I don't recommend chasing if you have not experience or knowledge of storms. Surely go and observe one locally - that's just as good as when I was your age.

You should wait a few more years and chase with someone who has done it. Although we are the pioneers, there have been some close encounters. Storm chasing is dangerous and should not be taken lightly.

Getting back on topic, As Michael suggests, there are periods when storms become active in your areas as well as years when storms are more frequent. One has to be patient and just wait around. It makes the good days better!

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara

Ok thanks for the tips. Next time we get a storm I will be pumped because there hasn't been any for a fair while.