Author Topic: Favorite Storm Chase DVD Reviews.  (Read 4793 times)

Offline Shaun Galman

• Stove pipe F3
    • ridgelightning.com
Favorite Storm Chase DVD Reviews.
« on: 05 April 2008, 05:42:39 AM »
Hi all,
We have a favorite weather book review thread but no storm/chase DVD reviews as far as I could tell, so I thought I'd get one started as they are becoming more common and well worth purchasing! :)

Instability Released
US Storm chase highlights DVD. By Mike Hollingshead (extremeinstability.com)

I was very excited to receive my copy of this stunning DVD to say the least! I've been a huge fan of Mike's storm photography and chase reports for some time now and to actually witness these monster supercells/tornado's in action blew me away! This DVD runs for 1hr 42minutes and has heaps of chase footage from 1996 through to 2007 and some of Mike's amazing digital photograhpy stills at the end just to cap this great show off! There are 26 supercells in all, filmed at Nebraska, Texas, Iowa, Kansas, Colorado and North/South Dakota.

Most of the storms have stunning, full tornado footage from formation to rope-out, with a bit of VERY close lightning, UNREAL structure and large hail thrown in! Some of the RFB structure on those cells is just plain nuts! :)
This is one amazing DVD and I think it's a great start to any chase DVD collection and a must have addition to any existing ones! Mike only charges $25 US. which is around $27.60Aus.(variable) with free shipping overseas. It's available through his website and only took a week or so to arrive here, which was great!

I have watched it 4 times now and find myself totally transfixed EVERY time at the sight of monster supercells doing what they do best! It's well... just UNBELIEVABLE!
This is a definite must have guys and well worth the $25 US!

I hope this has been helpful for anyone wondering which DVD to collect next (after the Australian Severe Weather chase DVD collection of course) ;)
Kindest regards,
Shauno
Chasing Region: Lightning Ridge. N.S.W.

Offline Dave Nelson

• Elephant Trunk F2
    • Stormy Sydney
Re: Favorite Storm Chase DVD Reviews.
« Reply #1 on: 06 April 2008, 01:44:42 PM »
Hi Gang,

I have purchased 3 Stormchase DVD's from the USA over the last few weeks

1) ....  Get out and film it!,   by Scott Currens

covers 1998 to 2007,   great viewing, some outstanding video of big tornadoes
   well edited a pleasure to watch

2) ....  Lubacca,  The storm tracer saga,   by Tony Laubach

Covers some good tornadoes and cells  between March 2004 and May 2005
   (dont play in front of kids,  much strong language)

3) ....  Driven by Passion,   Tim Samaras     ( a 2 DVD set)

Oh man what can I say !!!!   .....    some of the best footage I have ever seen.
   Including the deployment of flying saucer shaped camera and audio recording
   probes.   In one deployment  the tornado passes almost directly over the
   camera probe.

All 3 are great additions to the collection, personal order of preference  3);  1);   2) 

They varied from ~ AU$24 - 34  including postage,    very affordable

The action these guys have seen ( and often VERY close up) makes us truely envious
that Cindy and I didnt see a tornado on out last USA trip,   maybe next time!

cheers
Dave
« Last Edit: 06 April 2008, 01:49:55 PM by Dave Nelson »

twister1955

« Reply #2 on: 11 April 2008, 11:53:13 PM »
my favorite video i have is by shane adams 05-06 many big tornados .beatrice .nebaska 06 was nothing short of awsome.newest one by extreme tornados is totaly rocks.

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
« Reply #3 on: 12 April 2008, 09:13:33 AM »
Hi Dave, have you some of their website links so that we can get some info on the DVDs?

I have a few favorites that I have got over the last year or two also.  I have most of Mike Hollingshead's DVD's and they are great, all of Reed Timmers DVDs which are always good for a laugh - albeit trying to contain their excitement - but excellent close up tornadoes!

My favorites to watch time and time again are some DVD's from Brad Hannan from this very forum from his trips to the USA with Jimmy Deguara et al in 2005/6.  Nice music accompanyment which is something I like to see, tasteful aussie humour & commentary and probably the best timelapse lightning footage I've seen in a long time.  Lots of 'Holy Jingles!' by JD when close CGs hit - it's classic aussie storm chasing and the DVDs are always playing before the chase and especially in the off-season!

My next purchase will be the box set of the US chase DVDs that Jimmy and Co have made up that are available.
Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14

twister1955

« Reply #4 on: 12 April 2008, 02:52:21 PM »
just picked 2007 search of texas supercells also the weather channel storms stories interesting  5 dvds.set

Offline Dave Nelson

• Elephant Trunk F2
    • Stormy Sydney
« Reply #5 on: 14 April 2008, 03:47:34 AM »
Hi Mike and Co,

Sorry  I forget that maybe all are not members of the Stormtrack forum in the USA
where those addy's are available ....  here they are

1) ....  Get out and film it!,   by Scott Currens                            http://www.violentplains.com/

2) ....  Lubacca,  The storm tracer saga,   by Tony Laubach      http://www.tornadoeskick.com/

3) ....  Driven by Passion,   Tim Samaras     ( a 2 DVD set)        http://www.thunderchase.com/

cheers
   Dave N

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
« Reply #6 on: 14 April 2008, 08:32:14 PM »
Cool, thanks Dave.  I know the names and by the sounds of it the DVDs have gotten good reviews. There's so many DVDs being put out these days that it's hard to keep up with all the new ones being released.  The good thing is that members can see alternate DVDs from people - that are well-known to experienced chasers - that those members may not have even heard of and can get some fascinating education and footage that they may well have missed out on.  I know that in the early days on the forum the only person I'd heard of was Warren Faidley and i thought he was the only chaser making DVDs, it did not take long to find out that there is a whole gambit of serious professional chasers sharing their experiences.
Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14