Author Topic: So who's going to the states this year?  (Read 4484 times)

Offline Willoughby Owen

• Rope Tornado F0
So who's going to the states this year?
« on: 06 January 2008, 06:21:18 AM »
Afternoon,

After last year's successful chase and dreaming about it every day since returning I am super keen to get back over there this May for a month. The problem is the two guys that did the majority of the decision making for us are only going if it looks good on the prognostics. Whereas with my employer I need to secure the annual leave months in advance first. My chase partner Steve B isn't 100% on going so i'd thought to start a thread here to see who's got interest in US storm chasing 2008!

I think it could be a good year, and travelling will still be very feasible with the US dollar set to remain very weak against our currencies.

Cheers
Willoughby

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
Re: So who's going to the states this year?
« Reply #1 on: 06 January 2008, 07:25:33 AM »
Looks like your first post Willloughby? Welcome first up.  Pretty envious with you already being to the states - get there soon enough for me I hope.  Probably Jimmy, David et al will no doubt jump in on this topic or perhaps you could go to the Thunderbolt Tours link on the forum home page and find out if there's anything in the winds.  You can be sure one of the more senior chasers will be going!!

Mike
Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
« Reply #2 on: 06 January 2008, 08:07:40 AM »
Hi guys,

I am definitely not going next year as I am saving for my marriage in June. It will be the first time in 8 years I had not headed over into the US chasing storms (2001 to 2007 were consecutive years of chasing).

Good luck to those that are heading over.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Willoughby Owen

• Rope Tornado F0
« Reply #3 on: 06 January 2008, 04:40:37 PM »
Thanks for the comments Mike,

That's a shame Jimmy, but good luck for your wedding!  :)

I'd be interested if MT, Macca and Chris are planning on going.

Willoughby

Offline James

• Elephant Trunk F2
    • Sydney Storm Chasers
« Reply #4 on: 22 January 2008, 07:45:47 AM »
Whilst this wont apply to this chase season, some very interesting news coming out of the airline industry today that looks to shake up airfares between Australia and the US.

Taken from Travel Weekly today:

GOVT COMMITTED TO V AUSTRALIA

Transport minister Anthony Albanese has said the Rudd Government is committed to ensuring V Australia succeeds in its plan to operate trans-Pacific flights. But he also gave hope that fifth freedom rights could be issued to non-Australian carriers – if it was in
the interests of Australia. Giving his first response to the travel media on the controversial Pacific route, Albanese said its priority as
helping Virgin Blue get its US flights off the ground. “The Australian Government is committed to ensuring that V Australia has every opportunity to commence services to the US later this year,” he told Travel Today. “This is in recognition of the significant benefits that flow from having a strong Australian-based international aviation industry.” Under current regulations, airlines based in each country can only launch four weekly flights on the route. V Australia has applied for 10 and Open Skies talks planned for next month with the US are expected to open up the route. Albanese also left the door open for other carriers, including Singapore Airlines, to operate on the route. “The Government does not rule out opening the route up to further competition in the future should it be in the national interest,” he said.

Considering the US-Australia route is one of the most expensive in the world and has been protected by both governments for so long, it will be great for US bound chasers to finally pay competitive airfares across the Pacific. I would imagine a one way airfare on sale to LAX from SYD on V Australia could go as low as $249 one way plus tax.

2009 could be a cheap year to chase the US ... if you hire a Toyota prius and fly V Australia.

Offline Willoughby Owen

• Rope Tornado F0
« Reply #5 on: 26 January 2008, 01:05:24 PM »
Whilst this wont apply to this chase season, some very interesting news coming out of the airline industry today that looks to shake up airfares between Australia and the US.

I just had a look at expedia and compared a return flight to Oklahoma City from Sydney and there's a A$-400 difference in a return flight with Qantas from Auckland. That's pretty messed up IMO.