Author Topic: Getting started storm chasing in Australia - southeast Queensland  (Read 3411 times)

Offline Michael A.

• Rope Tornado F0
Hello, my name is Mike and I will be moving to the Brisbane area (Manly West) in time for the upcoming storm season in late 2008.

I am from Tampa, Florida in the USA and are familiar with severe summer storms. However, I am looking forward to chasing supercells throughout SE QLD, something we don't get a lot of in the subtropical regions of Florida.

Can you give me some of your personal experiences chasing severe storms in SE QLD? Looking forward to gathering information from your knowledge and experience! Thank you.

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
RE: Getting started storm chasing in Australia - southeast Queensland
« Reply #1 on: 12 February 2008, 02:05:39 AM »
Mike,

Welcome to the forum! Chasing supercells are more of the high precipitation variety in south east Queensland and perhaps tend towards more classic as you head down to the high latitudes although HP supercells are a features in all regions along the east coast of Australia. Some massive beasts including spectacular shelf clouds have been observed in southeast Queensland. The Brisbane Valley western region is a great place to chase but as you head north, it becomes a little limited with road options and forests. Andrew MacDonald (Macca) may shed further detail given he has successfully chased the region.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)