Author Topic: Highly charged atmospheric conditions.  (Read 7884 times)

Offline Shaun Galman

• Stove pipe F3
    • ridgelightning.com
Re: Highly charged atmospheric conditions.
« Reply #15 on: 03 February 2008, 08:57:14 AM »
Hi Mike,
Well it took a little time (for which I apologise in advance) but here is the culprit umbrella that we saw the static charge emitting from. As the handle had broken off it had been relocated to the storage void that is my shed! lol. The top shot is it in it's handle-less demise and the lower shot is of the 27mm (or 1inch) spikes that protrude form the edges all around. I have since disposed of this little umbrella not only for the broken handle but for the ominous metal spike that sticks out of the main shaft around 6inches or so, yes... I thought the same thing- a definite lightning conductor! :)

Cheers and take care,
Shauno

Chasing Region: Lightning Ridge. N.S.W.

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
« Reply #16 on: 03 February 2008, 04:52:32 PM »
 That's the culprit!  Remember to leave that conductor behind next time you're out taking photos.  A wonderful invention in light rain and light wind, useless in torrential downpours and strong winds as we all probably have found out once or twice.

A few weeks back I was out taking photos and I swear I could hear the air buzzing.  It's an uncanny sound you hear when there's no power lines around, no poles - just you, the car and the camera and you hear the air simply 'alive'.  I don't particuarly like being outdoors when this is heard, I just know something close is going to get hit - if not me!

My daughter was at school last week when a strong storm was hanging around and she mentioned she heard audible clicks now and then - i told her that something was being targeted and in future not to be outside when that was being heard!  I remember Jimmy mentioning that he saw spikes from his shoes at one time photographing....
« Last Edit: 03 February 2008, 04:59:01 PM by Mike »
Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14

Offline Richary

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #17 on: 03 February 2008, 05:48:51 PM »
As mentioned before I have put up a well earthed 9 metre high mast for long distance radio stuff. And I usually make sure to leave things disconnected especially if any storms are about.

Well, one problem with earthing it of course is that it provides a better path to ground than if just on the concrete. But that's by the by, if it does get hit then it will (hopefully) all go to ground and not cause any damage. But being the highest metal object nearby until we get to the school flagpole a couple of blocks away, it could be a target! Especially with a big earth stake and a connection to ground.

A couple of weeks ago a big storm was approaching so I had pulled the plug. A friend in North Ryde told me he was getting some unusual reception from New Caledonia on FM, so seeing as there were no close CGs decided to hook it up again briefly for a check. Just after I turned the radio on there was a big buzzing noise through the receiver followed almost immediately by a big intra cloud bolt up above. Now being FM that is normally fairly immune to lightning static unless really strong, and I the buzzing lasted a couple of seconds I suspect it could well have been caused by a leader coming up from the mast (that luckily didn't connect). No way of proving that's what it was, but it started before the bolt and finished as the flash up above happened.