Author Topic: Storm Chasing Clubs/Groups  (Read 4239 times)

Robert1984

Storm Chasing Clubs/Groups
« on: 12 April 2008, 12:50:57 PM »
G'day everyone sorry about being away from here for so long but i was really busy and such but now i've managed to find the spare time to log on here,anyways right to the point i've noticed there are a few storm chasing clubs/groups around Australia

I've decided to get in on the action by establishing a storm chasing club but at the moment im having a hard time trying to find a perfect picture that can be used as a background on Microsoft Word to design a promotions poster to get members can anyone tell me where i can locate a pic which will stand out

At the moment i am still in the planning stages and will quite possibly be launching it in Mid September when the South Australia storm season kicks off

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
Re: Storm Chasing Clubs/Groups
« Reply #1 on: 12 April 2008, 08:03:59 PM »
If you can get some permission from the moderators (the one's who have excellent pics) to use their pics, then I would suggest a great supercell storm would go well. If you do get it up and going, esp with school hols on at about that time of year, I might come over. Desperately need something better than Melb weather - not enuff severe storms! (hehe)

Big Pete

PJJ

Robert1984

« Reply #2 on: 13 April 2008, 03:55:05 AM »
The only true hurdle is making the pic into a background Pete as I've experimented with numerous other pics found either via google or yahoo search and they dont cover up the whole A4 Size Page so i am gonna keep searching or maybe use one of the Stock Photos if i can find the right one to use  :)

As per what i mentioned in the Chase Vehicle topic once my car is fully serviced and fitted out with a scanner in September as that's when its due for a complete and thorough service i'll be putting up the poster then around Mount Gambier and Millicent

The only one requirement for storm chasing here is to have a UHF radio in your chase vehicle so communications between chase vehicles can be established if the storm is severe enough and if you've got a scanner that can monitor SAGRN radio traffic thats a bonus

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
« Reply #3 on: 13 April 2008, 05:29:47 AM »
Good luck with the set up of the storm chasing group and perhaps you should try siding on with the Bureau of Meteorology.

By the way, I have chased storms since 1993 and have not had a need to use UHF or any other radios. Of course some choose this because the enjoy communicating whilst they chase. I hardly even use the mobile phone either though it is useful like the UHF and other radios are in an emergency. Having said that, it would be great to be able to chat with others around the place if you got the range.

Kind regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Richary

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #4 on: 13 April 2008, 05:50:28 PM »
By the way, I have chased storms since 1993 and have not had a need to use UHF or any other radios. Of course some choose this because the enjoy communicating whilst they chase.

I think UHF would be useful once a critical mass of chasers happened. By comparing observations from different sides of the storm people could determine the best angle to photo/film it from - as well as the danger areas. And of course useful if there are a few people in one convoy doing the chasing.

Not required of course but cheaper than mobile phones if you are regularly out on a chase with others - and of course everyone can hear everyone else rather than having to make lots of calls.

Robert1984

« Reply #5 on: 15 April 2008, 02:44:05 PM »
The good news is that i've almost finished designing my promotions poster all i've gotta do is change some wording and it will be ready to print up and place around the local area come September... seeing as how using a fancy background didnt work i went back to basics and used a simple clipart picture of a cloud with lightning strikes coming out of it which looks alot better than expected

All thats left to do now is obtain my 996t digital scanner then wait for another few months until my car is due for its full service then the chase will be on  ;D