Author Topic: Snowfall forecasts for the 2008 season  (Read 3964 times)

Offline Karina Roberts (slavegirl)

• Multi-vortex F1
Snowfall forecasts for the 2008 season
« on: 08 May 2008, 04:45:20 AM »
Hi,
I am going snowboarding at the end of July this year and was wondering if anyone knows whether this season will be a good one or not. It was good to have a look at the cams and see the early snowfall blanketing the slopes but of course the bulk of that has melted away now. I am relatively new to snow and learning the weather systems that predict a good snowfall so any helpful information would be much appreciated.

Cheers'
Karina
The only difference between tattooed people and non-tattooed people is that tattooed people don't care that your not tattooed. - Wildfire tattoos

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
RE: Snowfall forecasts for the 2008 season
« Reply #1 on: 09 May 2008, 01:46:37 AM »
There are some independent forecasts of the snow season ahead available here:

http://www.holtonweather.com/article2.htm

I have no info about how good these forecasts are but at least they are not put out by the resorts who claim above average every year !
regards, Michael

Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

Offline Peter J

• Stove pipe F3
  • Lets go get em boys!
Re: Snowfall forecasts for the 2008 season
« Reply #2 on: 09 May 2008, 06:16:20 AM »
If the precursor weather is any indication, then we should get a bumper snow year, but it all depends on whether we get any antarctic blast type cold fronts in the early part of the snow season. Usually, by the second week of June, one of these fronts should have gone through Melbourne. If so, then snow season will be excellent. If not, then we may not get that great a season.

(just from anecdotal experience)
Big Pete
ps - i'd love to see some snowfalls in the Melbourne area this season. Cold weather and snow early on here may provide a very good storm season come Spring - something we all need.
PJJ

Offline Karina Roberts (slavegirl)

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2008, 02:33:45 PM »
Thanks guys,
The information you have given me has helped. Here is a question to get the grey matter working, i was reading on a skiing forum that volcanic eruptions has been linked with bumper ski seasons, sometimes worldwide but usually in the hemisphere in which they occur, i think it was mentioned that its the ash and sulphuric levels that cause it. Is it true or is it just a mere coincedence??
Posted on: 08 May 2008, 08:22:11 PM
Here is just a small quote from the www.ski.com.au forum on the subject of volcanic eruptions affecting global weather

" '92 was pretty lame until that front in August / Sept.

"On June 15 (1991), millions of tons of sulfur dioxide were discharged into the atmosphere, resulting in a decrease in the temperature worldwide over the next few years.

The cloud over the earth reduced global temperatures. In 1992 and 1993, the average temperature in the Northern Hemisphere was reduced 0.5 to 0.6°C and the entire planet was cooled 0.4 to 0.5°C. The maximum reduction in global temperature occurred in August 1992 with a reduction of 0.73°C. The eruption is believed to have influenced such events as 1993 floods along the Mississippi river and the drought in the Sahel region of Africa. The United States experienced its third coldest and third wettest summer in 77 years during 1992.

Overall, the cooling effects of the Mount Pinatubo eruption were greater than those of the El Niño that was taking place at the time or of the greenhouse gas warming of the planet. Remarkable sunrises and sunsets were visible around the globe in the years following the Mount Pinatubo eruption."
The only difference between tattooed people and non-tattooed people is that tattooed people don't care that your not tattooed. - Wildfire tattoos

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2008, 02:42:03 PM »
We need to get Michael Scollay on here as this is his specialty. He has developed very reliable models as to the reliability of the season. I will try getting him on here.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)