Author Topic: rotating shower  (Read 3876 times)

phix

rotating shower
« on: 12 September 2008, 05:28:23 PM »
the last thing from my oversea`s footage, i promise, is this :

in 2005 my webcam in my office observed a pronounced rotation in a developing rain shower ...

the footage covers app. 3 minutes. the synoptic situation shows a cold air situation at the beginning of may 2005 with a remarkable unidirectional shear.

the rainshower proceeded against the main current, towards the north west, so we have a case of anticyclonic rotation. nothing serious happened, no funnels reported, just a few drops of rain were reported ... but it still might be interesting to watch

regards

Manfred

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
Re: rotating shower
« Reply #1 on: 17 September 2008, 07:11:49 AM »
Well there you go.  Motion is there and thanks for sharing the footage.  Any other details re wind speeds or shear at the time?
Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14

phix

« Reply #2 on: 17 September 2008, 09:01:37 AM »
......  Any other details re wind speeds or shear at the time?

when the phenomenon occurred, the surface winds were like this:

The shower was located over the center of Vienna, the city weather station reported gusts of 61 km/h during the shower, whereas at the location where i took the footage (3km east of of the weather station) there where very low windspeeds, as you can see looking at the tree.

the sounding shows a typical spring cold air situation with a little bit of cape and a considerable windshear, as you can see from the profile, so scattered showers were likely to occur.

looking at the synoptic situation you can see that there is a jet on the backside of a pronounced trough located over Austria.

looking at the charts and figures it`s not too surprising that there was a little bit of rotation, overall the available energy was very low and therefore no severe convection occurred. on the other hand, similar cold air situations are responsible for most of the (not too violent) tornadoes in middle and western Europe, when cape and shear are considerably higher, i.e the trough is more pronounced and the cold air mass is more unstable. several tornadoes were reported in germany on mar. 27th 2006

.. which shows the same pattern .. a cyclonic situation, cold air behind a cold front and a strong jet

regards

Manfred

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
« Reply #3 on: 17 September 2008, 09:51:41 AM »
Top stuff Manfred.  Always interesting to see what weather situations are happening around the globe.  Your graphics certainly assisted with the initial post.  The sounding winds barbs more speed shear than directional shear, but as indicated the area of low pressure contributed to the circulation no doubt ( a guess on my part..)

Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14

phix

« Reply #4 on: 17 September 2008, 11:28:21 AM »
....  The sounding winds barbs more speed shear than directional shear, ....

hm ... from my experience directional shear is not always necessary .. as i think that the direction of the shear mainly determines whetaer cyclonic or anticyclonic rotation is produced... i found a case in June 2006, where behind a weak cold front we had westerly winds from the surface to the tropopause ...

###

the sounding wouldn`t look to promising for the development of supercells ... but two hours later Mortimer Mueller from Skywarn Austria was lucky enough to see this ....

and there is also footage which clearly shows the presence of an anticyclonic mesocylone

(I'm not so much a fan of the music but the video is great ..)

http://www.skywarn.at/images/video/unwetter/2006/060618superzelle.wmv

The original posting can be seen here:

http://www.skywarn.at/forum/showtopic.php?threadid=11508

radar images showed a small but intense left moving supercell.

I asked Paul Markovsky from PennState Uni about how a supercell could develop under such lousy conditions .. and he pointed out that low directional shear doesn't support the formation of supercells but on the other hand it doesn't suppress them either.

regards

Manfred

« Last Edit: 17 September 2008, 11:37:33 AM by phix »