Author Topic: Anatomy of a storm chaser  (Read 3160 times)

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
Anatomy of a storm chaser
« on: 08 March 2007, 02:55:08 PM »
Thought I'd see what makes us tick in this topic.  we've all seen the movies about anatomy of a tornado, hurricane, volcano - how about us?  The people that give so much information and comment about our severe weather.

Anatomy of a storm chaser.  What makes us tick? Why do we chase storms when everyone sits at home?  Why do we actually risk our lives (unintentionally) so that others can be informed?  We're not 'born to chase' because we all come from different backgrounds, so why do we chase hundreds of miles to meet a storm and yet sometimes find a bust?  Why do we chase and for what?  So it's not a question of ' I like to chase because...' I'd like to find out what's insidei] our forum chasers - so take a moment to think about your answers!!

Mike
Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14

Offline Mike

• Wedge tornado F5
Re: Anatomy of a storm chaser
« Reply #1 on: 20 March 2007, 11:55:26 AM »
Well here's my answer for what it's worth! 

Observing storms regardless of being severe or not gives me the sense that I'm just a very tiny part of this planet and that I could be erased with one single lightning strike.  The satisfaction of seeing the planet breath through nature's air conditioners and without such events the planet would litteraly succumb to a dry and painful death.

It's not so much 'chasing' the storms, it's wanting to get up close and personal with the power that is generated by the complexities of nature.  How such supercells in the US have so much power and on such an immense scale that it defies the logic of even meteorologists.

When I stand and watch storms I always have the same motion of shaking the head side to side and the same comment that I mutter under my breath (unrepeatable here!) and as much as I want to put the camera down and just view the storm in action, i just need that permanent memory of what, eventually, I will forget with time.

Mike
StormscapesDarwin.com

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
« Reply #2 on: 20 March 2007, 12:30:24 PM »
Thanks Mike,

You covered most of it for me. Supercells are immense I guess and are the prize in Australia. Tornadoes are the trophy in the US and are simply sensational to observe. Having observed about 30 or more tornadoes, all are different!

What drives me on any chase and always on my wish list is to see the first explosive updrafts as the cap breaks, then to quickly align yourself with the storm as it begins to organise and then drop large hail to giant hail! The structure, the enormity and the shear size, the lightning, the contrast, powerful inflow, massive and thick, crisp side anvil, then the rotation, wall cloud, inflow bands, and beaver tail, finally the tornado - beginning from the dust whirl struggles and finally the tornadic funnel lowering the pressure and condensing all are a part of the ultimate chasing in the US!

It has once again sent a shiver up my spine!

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
« Last Edit: 21 March 2007, 02:09:46 PM by Jimmy Deguara »
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Mike

• Wedge tornado F5
« Reply #3 on: 21 March 2007, 07:04:48 AM »
Thanks, Jimmy.  It's a significant part of what we chasers do.  People that chase and that become particularly attached to the learning side of it soon unleash a passion.  Something I'm kind of grateful for.  Sometimes ya just gotta put the camera down and stare in amazement but....

Mike
StormscapesDarwin.com