Author Topic: Perfect device for daytime lightning shots.  (Read 5950 times)

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
Perfect device for daytime lightning shots.
« on: 21 July 2007, 05:49:27 PM »
Located this website that retails lightning trigger units for SLR cameras.  The link is http://www.lightningtrigger.com/  The site explains all about the unit, it's properties, photography tips, the 30/30 rule for safety and a lot more.

The unit is not compatible with all cameras but they do have a list of cameras that will suit the unit. They also have some very impressive daytime CG shots taken by the trigger.  If my camera was listed I would definitely be purchasing one.

Taking nighttime shots is a little simpler with the right settings and accessories, but daytime shots is a luck of the draw thing, this neat gizmo will do all the work for you and faster than you can blink!

Mike
Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
Re: Perfect device for daytime lightning shots.
« Reply #1 on: 22 July 2007, 03:44:35 AM »
My camera is one of the ones it does not suit - Nikon D70. I've been contacted over the years about these sorts of devices - because of my lightning website. But have not come close to buying one due to their cost, and prior to digital it would have been more of a gamble.  I'm still not considering one, but will be interested to see how well it works for you Mike.

MB
Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
« Reply #2 on: 22 July 2007, 03:49:48 AM »
Con who has taken some superb pictures (slides) of lightning and other thunderstorm related features for that matter also began to use this.

I agree, with digital it is not important in some respects but if it works then why not. It certainly reduces wear and tear and helps you be relaxed about you lightning photography rather than trigger happy haha

I'll see if I can get Con onto here to comment once again.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline vrondes

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #3 on: 26 July 2007, 03:11:30 PM »
Mike, I do have a lightning trigger, I bought it 5 years ago through  that site  you mentioned. Being hungry to capture lightning in the daytime was the main incentive  in purchasing the sensor. My reflexes were not quick enough to capture those elusive daystrikes , unless you had high contrast background storm structure to highlight the strikes, as mentioned by Jeff in his tutorial on lightning photography.
 Not having a DSLR I can't say from personal experience how effective shooting in continuous mode is , in capturing daylight strikes.  The efforts of Jeff and others indicate it to be a very effective and economical way to capture lightning especially during daylight and around  sunset and twilight. The results I used to achieve with the trigger sensor and my slidefilm based slr were good , but I found you could blow a 36 exposure roll in a few minutes . While you could capture half a dozen good strikes, the rest of the roll would be filled with multiples of the same strike  if it was a long pulse strike. You also had a lot of wasted shots with clouds only , due to the sensitivity of the trigger in capturing embedded lightning within the storm cloud.
With the advent of 4 and 8 gb memory cards as well as negligible shutter delay or lag , between each shot  I'd say with continuous mode on a DSLR you don't need the lightning trigger. I will finally get a DSLR this summer , which will give me the opportunity to test these techniques.
Hope this has been of some help to you as you search for the best way to photograph lightning . With digital, your learning curve is as immediate as the display image of your previous capture, unlike that of film. Cheers, Con.

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
« Reply #4 on: 26 July 2007, 03:28:37 PM »

Yeah thanks.  I've yet to get a decent daytime stroke.  Have not had the opportunity during the day to chase the daytime stuff as stuck indoors at work!  But i will try the continuous shooting mode and see what eventuates.  From the images I've seen from the forum members here it is possible!!!

Mike

PS - my camera is not compatible with the lightning doohickey either. :P
Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14

Offline Shaun Galman

• Stove pipe F3
    • ridgelightning.com
« Reply #5 on: 24 August 2007, 12:09:30 PM »
Hi guys,
Oh man would that lightning capture device come in handy! I'm using an "older" Nikon 8700 digital hybrid (non SLR) with a 1.5second lag after I open the shutter. I have only managed a few daytime shots over the years (how, I don't know? luck and a fast finger I guess lol) My camera only shines once I can get started with a 2-3second exposure time. It just needs patients and a little trial and error, well... mostly error ;)

Take care.
Shauno.
Chasing Region: Lightning Ridge. N.S.W.

Offline Adrian

• Multi-vortex F1
« Reply #6 on: 23 July 2008, 02:04:13 PM »
All,

Probably more for the benefit of people doing a search on these devices (as I found very little when I was looking) - I purchased one late in the 07-08 (Darwin) season and am pretty sure that apart from my first or second ever lightning shots which were in daylight all the other daylight shots (posted) have been captured are using this as the trigger.  Overall I am very happy with it, it still misses some shots but the strike rate is far greater than the misses and miles away from what can be achieved with reflex; unless you are an eight year old kid with an xbox as a guardian.

While Con makes a valid point about the advent of 4-8 gb cards and the ability to just hold down the fire button, it comes down to personal preference.... if you are like me, a lazy bugger!, and you can't be bothered to sift through 1800 photo's (2 x 8Gb) cards to get 6 shots then this is a gizmo for you.

If you have more time on your hands or like looking at the same piece of blue sky 1800 times then you might want to keep your money in your pocket.

I will make one point about this device though and that is I rarely use it for night time lightning shots ... probably due to the type of storms that we get in Darwin (i.e., its either going nuts or it isn't)  as I find it gets in the way, I will however hook it up if the lightning starts to get sporadic.

P.s. Mike - not sure if i mentioned that I had one of these,  but if you want a look give me a bell.

Cheers,
Adrian

Offline Richary

• Barrel tornado F4
« Reply #7 on: 23 July 2008, 04:42:19 PM »
I had thought about the possibility if building one as there seemed to be nothing on the market but never got around to working it out.

I have caught one daytime shot (which I have now lost thanks to my breakup back in Adelaide) where I was photoing clouds from my sisters near Lismore and didn't realise until later I had caught a strike.

Problem is I have found from video that a single strike is very very quick, so the camera needs to react instantly. My cheapie doesn't so I doubt it would work without looking at the site. It would only work when there is a double strike in the on place.

I am still looking for a high res affordable video camera to do the same thing. Capture the single strike in a frame that is high res enough to print.