Author Topic: Storm influences - individuals.  (Read 7682 times)

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
Storm influences - individuals.
« on: 28 November 2007, 08:12:00 AM »
We have a thread on the subject of the most influential books re severe weather/weather in general.  I thought it appropriate to start a thread to find out from members to find out which 'individual(s)' influenced them the most to pursue an interest (or obsession) with storm chasing and the like.

There are many, many books no doubt that we've read, seen or talked about but the human factor must have had an impact somewhere and feel free to express your own thoughts here.

So I'll start with my most influential people I've talked to:

I first should say that everyone on this forum connected with it, whether they be new members or old, are the ones who have influenced me in storm chasing and weather.  The 'older' experienced members help out enormously and members of this forum have a wide spectrum of experienced folk from photography to computers to met interpretation and new members add so much value and the amount of topics is just an educational fest!

I believe that the amount of storm knowledge here is invaluable and regardless of all the books you read to assist oneself, this forum has for me been a Godsend!

That's my say.....

Mike
« Last Edit: 28 November 2007, 02:50:42 PM by Jimmy Deguara »
Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14

Offline Jimmy Deguara

• Australian and Tornado Alley storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Storm Chaser since 1993, Tornado Alley 2001
    • Australia Severe Weather
Re: Storm influences - individuals.
« Reply #1 on: 28 November 2007, 11:39:39 AM »
Mike et al,

I have suggested some thoughts in the past about chasing with others. This is a great way to learn much about storm chasing as well as some of the processes unfolding. You have a relaxed and realistic atmosphere to test your thoughts.

Of course, it is crucial to balance 'peer' knowledge with:

• reading materials - books, magazines, internet, visual resources, media,...
  • doing things on your own - very important and I know of at least a few off hand that have done the hard yards themselves

When comfortable enough to get out there alone, that is a true test. Don't be afraid of 'failure', just remember what it was that did not work. We all have done it - we all go through such processes as we struggle to unravel nature's big secrets!

Yes others have influenced my thoughts over the years including debates, questioning, and asking opinions. This should never stop in fact - nobody is a true expert in the weather game!

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara
« Last Edit: 28 November 2007, 11:48:23 AM by Jimmy Deguara »
-------------------------------------
Australian Severe Weather
www.australiasevereweather.com

Australian Thunderbolt Tours
www.thunderbolttours.com

Phone  0408 020468  (International :  61  2  408 020468)

Offline Mike

• Australian Severe Weather Moderators
  • Wedge tornado F5
  • Dry season here...boring!
    • http://StormscapesDarwin.com
« Reply #2 on: 28 November 2007, 11:59:05 AM »
Indeed Jimmy.  The purpose is to highlight everyone's thoughts rather than singling out others and the fantastic thing that comes with this is the variety of knowledge that is available.  It's important to recognise those that have the knowledge because without them none of us would learn anything and learn it safely and correctly whether it be by book or by other mediums.

I hope other members share their thoughts because it's something that is within the framework of storm chasing as a whole.

Mike
Darwin, Northern Territory.
StormscapesDarwin.com
Lightning Research 2010/14

Offline Michael Bath

• storm chaser
  • Administrator
  • Wedge tornado F5
    • Australian Severe Weather
« Reply #3 on: 29 November 2007, 02:57:52 AM »
A few individuals have influenced my interest in the weather over the years, though I think some people are just born with the fascination and seek information from others.

I know I had an obsession with the ABC weather report during my later primary school years and through high school, particularly their cloud maps.

At Ballina High School, the geography teacher made us track tropical cyclones. This led to my interest in weather systems that led to flooding in nearby Lismore, though it was a couple of years before I was able to experience major flooding first hand - in March 1987 and then the Mother's Day Flood of May 1987. This was when I became obsessed by weather. In particular identifying weather patterns that could lead to floods.

Around these same years (late high school and into uni years) I was able to use my father's film SLR camera. I wasn't interested in taking 'normal' photos, but rather experimenting with special effects and night shots. Astronomy was an interest at this time too. My attention soon turned to the weather and I was hooked for life after getting lightning bolts at East Ballina on my first attempt. Indirectly my father helped my interest in weather because I was able to use a great camera and learn from his photographic skills.

Storm photography, floods and tropical cyclones were now my passion, but I had no-one to talk to about it.

In early 1989 I had to move to Sydney for work, but this allowed me to visit the Sydney Bureau of Meteorology and gather lots of information from their library. The public relations manager at the time Steve Symonds (who has now retired to storm central Tabulam in NE NSW) was a great influence on me and helped me get involved in the storm spotter network and the Australian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society (AMOS). Finally other people to talk weather with !

In mid 1993 I attended a storm spotter training session at the Sydney Bureau of Meteorology. This is when I met Jimmy Deguara. We hit it off immediately and living close by in such a huge city of Sydney was very fortunate. We started storm chasing that spring and have been friends ever since. I think we have influenced each other very much !

Involvement in AMOS meetings at Macquarie University, enabled us to have fairly early access to the internet (from late 1995). The Bureau of Meteorology website was launched in March 1996 so it was now a very exciting time for accessing weather information and meeting other like minded people online. Think about how limited it was before the internet with just a day-old weather map and satellite photo in the daily newspaper.

The Australian Severe Weather website was born later that year.

MB
Australian Severe Weather:   http://australiasevereweather.com/
Lightning Photography:   http://www.lightningphotography.com/
Early Warning Network: http://www.ewn.com.au

Offline Shaun Galman

• Stove pipe F3
    • ridgelightning.com
« Reply #4 on: 29 November 2007, 07:30:53 AM »
Hi guys,
I think the role of influential people is vital in both instructing others and sharing helpful information (as you all do on these great forums!).

I can't imagine how frustrating and difficult it must have been prior to weather forecasting on the internet, going back to the "days of yore" where a forecast meant looking out the window to see if a storm was approaching? ;) It's important to realise just how relatively easy we have it now with an instant forecast at the click of a mouse!

I guess my original influential figure as far as storm and lightning photography came in the form of Warren Faidley. I saw a great National Goegraphic feature that focused on storm chasing in the states sometime in the mid to late 90's. This was the show where he got that amazing shot of lightning striking the large white storage tanks at an industrial factory. From this point on I always wanted to try my hand at lightning photography.

More recently with the introduction of this forum by MB, I have come to see and realise the number of great photographers and storm chasers are plentiful and ever growing in numbers (hoping to see a few new chasers from western NSW show up soon!) and you all have my respect and upmost admiration.

I was stunned to meet Rodney Wallbridge last easter (April 07) and coincidently find out that he had taken on of my all time favorite photos of a daytime CG from an LP cell East of Collarenebri. It's these moments that I will never forget and hope to eventually meet most of you in time, possibly out on a severe storm somewhere (work permitting if possible) or meet you chasing out here one day in our very alien landscape! :)

It has been great to learn some of the finer points of weather here from Jimmy D, Michael B, David C, Mike and the numerous others that contribute! I hope to continue learning for some time to come!
Thanks guys, very much appreciated!

Shauno.     
Chasing Region: Lightning Ridge. N.S.W.

Offline enak_12

• Elephant Trunk F2
« Reply #5 on: 29 November 2007, 11:04:47 AM »
Hi all,

Its been fantastic to read all your posts above. I have mentioned before my interest photography lead to an interest in weather. I have probably seen every weather and storm chasing website from Australia and loved them all, so I have been influenced by you all. If I was to single out some individuals I would have to include the owners of this site MB and Jimmy both masters of storm chasing in this country. Others that come to mind are Dave Ellem, Rodney wallbridge, Dave Sercombe, Anthony Cornelius plus all the members from Brisbane Storm Chasers and Sydney Storm Chasers. I also have to mention Mike Hollingshead as my favourite chaser from the US and a great photographer.

I'm always learning from these people and appreciate you all.

Now I still have much to learn.